Banyan (Ficus bengalensis)
Banyan is regarded as a sacred plant and is also recognised as India’s national tree.(HR/1)
Many people worship it, and it is planted around homes and temples. The health benefits of banyan are numerous. Because of its antioxidant qualities, it aids in blood glucose management by boosting insulin secretion. Banyan’s antioxidants also aid in the reduction of harmful cholesterol levels. Due to its Kashaya (astringent) quality, it is beneficial in diarrhoea and feminine issues such as leucorrhea, according to Ayurveda. Because of its anti-inflammatory and analgesic characteristics, banyan aids in the reduction of pain and inflammation linked with arthritis. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, applying a paste of Banyan bark to the gums lowers gum inflammation.
Banyan is also known as :- Ficus bengalensis, Vat, Ahat, Vatgach, Bot, Banyan tree, Vad, Vadalo, Badra, Bargad, Bada, Aala, Aladamara, Vata, Bad, Peraal, Vad, Bata, Bara, Bhaur, Aalamaram, Aalam, Marri
Banyan is obtained from :- Plant
Uses and benefits of Banyan:-
As per several scientific studies, uses and benefits of Banyan (Ficus bengalensis) are mentioned as per below(HR/2)
- Diarrhea : Banyan is a useful herb for preventing diarrhoea. Diarrhea, also known as Atisar in Ayurveda, is caused by a variety of factors including poor nutrition, contaminated water, toxins, mental tension, and Agnimandya (weak digestive fire). All of these variables contribute to the aggravation of Vata. This worsened Vata pulls fluid from various body tissues into the gut and mixes it with the faeces. Diarrhea or loose, watery motions are the result of this. Due to its Kashaya (astringent) quality, Banyan bark powder helps to limit the loss of water from the body by thickening the stool. Take 2-3 mg of Banyan bark powder every day, or as advised by your doctor. Combine with milk or water. To receive immediate relief from diarrhoea, take it once or twice a day after a small meal.
- Leucorrhea : thick, white discharge from the female genitals is known as leucorrhea. Leucorrhea is caused by a Kapha dosha imbalance, according to Ayurveda. Because of its Kashaya (astringent) quality, Banyan has a positive effect on leucorrhea. It aids in the regulation of exacerbated Kapha and the reduction of leucorrhea symptoms. Tips for employing Banyan in the treatment of leucorrhea. 1. Take 3-6 grammes of powdered Banyan bark or leaves. 2. Combine it with 2 cups of water in a mixing bowl. 3. Reduce the volume of this mixture to one-fourth cup by boiling it for 10 to 15 minutes. 4. Strain out one-fourth cup of the decoction. 5. Take this lukewarm decoction (approximately 15-20 ml) twice a day or as instructed by your doctor to relieve leucorrhea symptoms.
- Skin cuts : When applied to skin cuts and injuries, banyan is an effective herb for controlling bleeding. Because of its Kashaya (astringent) and Sita (cool) qualities, external application of Banyan bark paste or Kwath (decoction) helps to reduce bleeding and speed wound healing. Banyan can be used to treat skin cuts in a variety of ways. a. Take 2-3 grammes of Banyan bark powder, or as needed. c. Make a paste with it and some water or honey. c. For faster wound healing, apply this paste to the affected region once or twice a day.
- Sunburn : “Banyan can help with sunburn. Sunburn is caused by the Pitta dosha aggravation caused by prolonged sun exposure, according to Ayurveda. Because of its Sita (cold) and Ropan (healing) properties, applying Banyan bark paste to the affected area has a great cooling effect and decreases the burning feeling. Use Banyan to treat sunburns. a. Take 3-6gm powdered Banyan bark or leaves. b. Combine it with 2 cups of water in a mixing bowl. c. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the volume is reduced to one-fourth cup. d. Filter the remaining one-fourth cup decoction e. To receive relief from sunburns, wash or sprinkle this decoction over the affected area once or twice a day. f. For rapid recovery from sunburns, apply a paste of Banyan bark to the affected area.
Precautions to be taken while using Banyan:-
As per several scientific studies, below precautions should to be taken while taking Banyan (Ficus bengalensis)(HR/3)
Special precautions to be taken while taking Banyan:-
As per several scientific studies, below special precautions should to be taken while taking Banyan (Ficus bengalensis)(HR/4)
- Breastfeeding : Because there isn’t enough scientific data to support the use of Banyan during breastfeeding. As a result, it is best to avoid using Banyan during nursing or visit a physician before doing so.
- Pregnancy : Because there isn’t enough scientific data to support the use of Banyan during pregnancy. As a result, it is best to avoid using Banyan during pregnancy or visit a physician before doing so.
How to take Banyan:-
As per several scientific studies, Banyan (Ficus bengalensis) can be taken into the methods mentioned as per below(HR/5)
How much Banyan should be taken:-
As per several scientific studies, Banyan (Ficus bengalensis) should be taken into the amounts mentioned as per below(HR/6)
Side effects of Banyan:-
As per several scientific studies, below side effects need to be taken into consideration while taking Banyan (Ficus bengalensis)(HR/7)
- There is not enough scientific data available about side effects of this herb yet.
Questions asked frequently Related to the Banyan:-
Question. Is Banyan beneficial in diarrhea?
Answer. Because of its astringent properties, Banyan may help with diarrhoea. It promotes constriction of intestinal tissues and inhibits the release of blood and mucus fluids in the intestines. It also slows down the digestive tract’s motions (gastrointestinal motility). To treat diarrhoea, a Banyan leaf infusion is given orally.
Question. Can Banyan be used in fever?
Answer. Because of the presence of specific elements, banyan bark could be utilised to treat fever (flavonoids, alkaloids). These ingredients have antipyretic properties, which means they lower body temperature.
Question. Does Banyan help manage diabetes?
Answer. Yes, the presence of antioxidants in Banyan may aid in the management of diabetes. These antioxidants protect pancreatic cells from free radical damage and improve insulin secretion. It also has an anti-inflammatory effect on the pancreatic tissues, reducing inflammation.
Question. Does Banyan help manage cholesterol levels?
Answer. Because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory characteristics, Banyan may help decrease cholesterol levels. Total blood cholesterol, bad cholesterol (LDL), and triglycerides are all reduced by these antioxidants. As a result, controlling cholesterol levels is important.
Question. Does Banyan help improve the immune system?
Answer. Yes, because to its immunomodulatory properties, Banyan roots may aid in the improvement of the immune system. It boosts immunity by regulating or modulating the body’s immunological response.
Question. Can Banyan be used in Asthma?
Answer. Because of its anti-allergic properties, Banyan could be utilised to treat Asthma. It reduces inflammation and helps to eliminate blockages in the respiratory airways, making breathing easier. External application of Banyan tree bark paste can help treat asthma.
Yes, Banyan can be used to treat asthma symptoms such as coughing and breathing difficulties. Despite its cool character, the Kapha balancing property of Banyan bark paste helps to decrease and remove excessive mucus from the body.
Question. Can Banyan help in rheumatism?
Answer. Yes, Banyan’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities may aid with rheumatism. Banyan contains antioxidants that decrease the activity of mediators that cause inflammation. This aids in the reduction of rheumatism-related joint pain and inflammation.
Question. Does Banyan help in abscess?
Answer. Although there isn’t enough scientific data to support Banyan’s significance in abscess. However, because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it may aid in the reduction of abscess inflammation. Banyan leaves have been used as a poultice to treat skin abscesses.
Banyan’s Kashaya (astringent) and Ropan (healing) qualities aid in the treatment of skin abscesses. It accelerates coagulation and lowers inflammation. As a result, it aids in the speedy healing of skin abscesses and the prevention of subsequent infections.
Question. Does Banyan help in oral disorders?
Answer. Yes, Banyan may aid in the treatment of oral issues like as gum irritation. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, applying Banyan bark paste to gums lowers irritation.
Yes, swollen, spongy, and bleeding gums can be treated with Banyan. It has an astringent (Kashya) function that helps to minimise edoema and control bleeding. Because to its Sita (cold) quality, it also has a cooling and calming effect on the gums.
Many people worship it, and it is planted around homes and temples. The health benefits of banyan are numerous.